Tuesday, May 20, 2008

5th Lesson - Week 2

During the 5th lesson, we really got down to work. Firstly, I filled Naomi in on the things she had missed out on and Tasol and Sonya went to make phone calls to the wristband and hat producers. By the time I filled in Naomi with the information and was listing the things that needs to be on the website,Tasol and Sonya came back saying that both numbers did not pick up. I listed the rest of the things that needs to be on the website and poster while Sonya began designing the poster and Tasol began another search on the internet for different wristband and hat producers.

Our work schedule so far;
Gah Vin- organisation, oral
Tasol- oral, research
Sonya-Poster, flyers
Naomi- webpage

I also came up with the organisation and the name of our concert. Our organisation name will be 'SaveTheNextGeneration'. Sonya also pointed out that STNG can stand for Sonya, Tasol, Naomi and Gah Vin! The concert name I came up with was : Whale Generation Concert.

These are the things I listed for Sonya and Naomi to include in their promotion products
-location: Doug Jennings Park, Main Beach (Spit)
-no pedestrian access, no parking area
-please use public transport
-tickets can be bought through the GCAC ticket tec (provide number)
-map of the concert area (take idea from the Summadayze website)
-an email address for any enquiries
-a link to the Greenpeace Australia Stop Whaling site
-an introduction on what the concert is about (more detail on the website than on the posters and flyers)
-the artists that will be at the concert
-bring own bottle of water
-no alcohol, no bashing allowed
-promote jackpot whale hats with star signatures

Sonya and Naomi set to work, designing logos and creating the layout for the posters.
Tasol and I found some prices for the wristbands and hats on the internet.
We worked out how much it will cost us.

www,crazycustomcaps.com
Flat Peak Hats similar to New Era caps
cost for 1: $14.95
quantity; 25000
discount per cap: $8

total cost: (14.95x25000)-25000x8=$173740

I've just realised that we have bought too many caps, we have automatically generalised that everyone will buy the caps but I have realised that the reality is that everyone will not. Maybe 20000 would be good. I have also thought of the idea that if we have the signatures of one of the singers that will sing at the concert on about 500-1000 hats, it will sell better. We are already making the singer wear the hats during the concert to provoke the audience to buy them but this idea may be stronger. It would be a lucky jackpot thing.

http://www.handband.com/
10 000 wristbands cost- $6700
therefore 25000 wristbands will cost= $6700x2.5=$16750

price of 1 concert ticket= $99
whole cost of tickets=99x25000=$2475000
profit=total cost of tickets - price of hats and wristbands=2475000 - (173750+16750)= $2284500
I've just realised again that this is not actually accurate. The cost of the wristbands should be included in the ticket costs but the whale hats should not be. The accurate formula is
Profit=2475000-16750=$2458250 from the ticket concerts
and I have realised that we need to make profit on the caps. The caps were bought on a $8 discount per cap so each cap actually cost us $6.95 instead of $14.95. So we will still be making profit if we use the price $14.95. We will be making $8 profit per cap.
Profit for caps= $8 x 20000= $160000

We are also generalising that all the tickets will be sold as the previous Summadayze on the Gold Coast was a total sell out.
Total profit excluding ticketing and money put aside for singers = profit for tickets + profit for caps = $2458250 + $160000 = $2618250
All profit will go to fund Greenpeace and to support their ' Stop Whaling' campaign.

(a) 10% of the cost of tickets will go to GCAC ticket tec = 0.1 x $2458250 = $245825
(b) Money for singers (plane tickets, transport from airport, refreshments, etc.) = $5000
Total Profit = $2618250- (a+b) = $2367425
All profit will go to fund Greenpeace and to support their ' Stop Whaling' campaign.
Tasol and I also came up with a timetable for the concert;
1st 1/3: 3pm to 3.45 pm - Pink
Break: 3,45pm to 4pm
2nd 1/3: 4pm to 4.45 pm - Greenday
Break: 4.45pm to 5pm
3rd 1/3: 5pm to 5.45- U2
Ending: 5.45pm to 6pm - all singers sing 'We are the World'

I came up with the idea of singing 'we are the world' at the end to show that this concert is really about saving the whales, raising funds, making a difference, influencing the target audience to take the task further and making a better future for the next generation.

We have arranged the singers in an order from least to best popularity so that the excitement grows throughout the ocncert as time passes.
During the breaks and before and end of the concert whale hats will be sold.

I think that we are quite on track now. We are progressing fast and with high amounts of work getting done with efficiency. The work done is in high standards. Our group works co operatively and listens and assists each other. We were very focused during this lesson and was efficient in completing our work on time and following the task guidlines provided. I once again, learnt that organising an event like this is very complicated and involves large sums of money. It was an enjoyable experience. A skill I used during this lesson was the capability to calculate the profit and loss, although we did not have any 'loss', of our product including all aspects . This linked to the topics we did in Maths last term and it gave me an introduction into accounting.

website for our product (promotion) http://www.freewebs.com/whalegenerationconcert/

No comments: